Thursday, July 10, 2008

WTF River Card of the Night Strikes Back (HA)

Still going for some sort of medium-sized MTT win, casually folding my way through a craptacular $5 267-seater tonight, and it happens yet again (it's been happening quite a bit lately)...


Full Tilt Poker, NL Hold'em Tournament, 40/80 Blinds, 8 Players
LeggoPoker.com - Hand History Converter

SB: 2,170
BB: 470
UTG: 13,645
UTG+1: 10,735
MP1: 1,940
Hero (MP2): 1,720
CO: 4,535
BTN: 3,125

Pre-Flop: (120) Qc Qd dealt to Hero (MP2)
3 folds, Hero raises to 240, CO raises to 400, 3 folds, Hero raises to 1,720 and is All-In, CO calls 1,320
Flop: (3,560) 9d 3h Kc (2 Players - 1 is All-In)
Turn: (3,560) 3s (2 Players - 1 is All-In)
River: (3,560) Js (2 Players - 1 is All-In)

Results: 3,560 Pot
Hero showed Qc Qd (two pair, Queens and Threes) and LOST (-1,720 NET)
CO showed Jd Jc (a full house, Jacks full of Threes) and WON 3,560 (+1,840 NET)


It's never fun when it comes on the flop, but damn it's a dagger when it comes on the river. I had the gent out-suited too. I must admit the small reraise from him was interesting here. I figured there was a decent chance he had AA and was just building the pot a bit, but this was really the only hand I'd seen for the whole tournament and my stack was about half the average, so I had to get moving or get out.

In other daily poker news, I had a few spots today that made me do a bit of thinking. Here's two of them...


#1 - BB has been fairly tight/sneaky, limping a lot when in my SB with solid hands, limp-reraising or check-raising, etc. Had not seen him do anything like this yet...

Full Tilt Poker, $10 + $1 NL Hold'em Sit n' Go, 40/80 Blinds, 6 Players
LeggoPoker.com - Hand History Converter

Hero (UTG): 1,920
MP: 4,875
CO: 1,775
BTN: 1,405
SB: 900
BB: 2,625

Pre-Flop: (120) Td Tc dealt to Hero (UTG)
Hero raises to 240, 4 folds, BB raises to 2,625 and is All-In, Hero...


#2 - SB had been super-tight/passive the whole game, until recently after doubling up and getting back into it, at which point he had started stealing more blinds and pretty much flipping the switch to major aggressiveness...

Full Tilt Poker, $10 + $1 NL Hold'em Sit n' Go, 100/200 Blinds, 4 Players
LeggoPoker.com - Hand History Converter

Hero (UTG): 3,380
BTN: 5,745
SB: 2,100
BB: 2,275

Pre-Flop: (300) Qd Ac dealt to Hero (UTG)
Hero raises to 500, BTN folds, SB raises to 2,100 and is All-In, BB folds, Hero...



I know the suspense must be killing you, so I'll go ahead and say what happened... Hand #1 it really smelled like AK to me... seen a lot of quick pushes like that with good old big slick... but it could've also reasonably been JJ or QQ... most likely not AA or KK given the BB's sneakiness. But yeah, I laid it down and tried to find a better spot.

Hand #2 I thought for a bit, and given the SB's recent rampage I thought that there's a good chance he's doing this with a medium pair, up to TT, JJ, and the like. QQ was a possibility, but obviously less likely. And as always AK was perfectly possible... and in this case... was what I ran up against, and subsequently lost most of my stack to. Probably should've folded here and waited for a better spot with a healthier stack. I at least managed to eek out a 3rd place finish in this one, which is better than the three 7th place finishes I've had previous to that. Here's an update in case you're wondering...

$10 SNG's - 17 Total
1sts - 5
2nds - 1
3rds - 4
5ths - 1
6ths - 3
7ths - 3

Profit - $137
ROI - 73.26%

Some of those 6th and 7th places were seriously after a solid hour of wasting away with crap starters and watching a bunch of loose-passive players peck away at little pots. Nothing more exciting than that my friends.

Ah well... the hot streak had to end sometime.

No comments: