Monday, August 4, 2008

Sloppy Poker Goodness for the Whole Family

Alright good people, I'm passing up the $32k guarantee tonight to post this random mess of poker things. I've been running colder than a polar bear's sphincter lately, so I'm really in no rush to jump back in and lose the $26 token I managed to smuggle out last night, plus there's a fair amount of stuff to put up since the last post. Let's get started with the news I'm sure everyone is waiting for...


SLOPPY DEUCE #1 RESULTS

The first Sloppy Deuce tournament in TPTM history managed to scrape together a small field of players... basically a few of my buds who also had nothing better to do on a Sunday afternoon. Yours truly managed to take it down, which was probably the highlight of my weekend, as sad as that may seem. The final finishes were as follows:

1st - MrBo1011 ($8)
2nd - trainofbutter
3rd - jayman2117
4th - craigulator19


My man Criggles has been running pretty hot since he got back into playing online, and he came out aggressive, picking up a lot of pots before the flop and taking an early lead. I managed to even things out with a little KK trap where I limped in and hit a set, with a QJ that hit top two for the BB special, and then took him out with pocket 10's when he lead out into me with K7 that hit top pair on a 7-high flop after calling my button raise.

Jay managed a 3rd place finish even after apparently not showing up... although you never know with Jay since he's a terrible poker player... which ironically makes him extremely dangerous... plus he did actually manage to win one hand. He couldn't stay in the game though when he was all-in in the SB and I took him out with 34 against his dominating A4.


Then there was the trainofbutter, who just hadn't gotten anything going the whole time and was pretty much out of it. He did manage to scrap back just a little though, with a magnificent river suckout - ATs against his A6o that spiked the river 6. But then things headed downhill again until he made a perfectly reasonable push into my flopped flush. Here's the final hand:


Full Tilt Poker, NL Hold'em Tournament, 40/80 Blinds, 2 Players
LeggoPoker.com - Hand History Converter

BB: 560
Hero (SB): 5,440

Pre-Flop: (120) 9d 8d dealt to Hero (SB)
Hero calls 40, BB checks
Flop: (160) 7d Qd 5d (2 Players)
BB bets 480 and is All-In, Hero calls 480
Turn: (1,120) 4c (2 Players - 1 is All-In)
River: (1,120) Ks (2 Players - 1 is All-In)

Results: 1,120 Pot
BB showed Qh 6d (a pair of Queens) and LOST (-560 NET)
Hero showed 9d 8d (a flush, Queen high) and WON 1,120 (+560 NET)


GG gents. Hope to see you all back next Sunday, as well as some newcomers hopefully.


WEEKEND SNG MADNESS

Moving on to the rest of this weekend... ugh... where to begin. Basically it all sucked. It started with my Aces getting cracked by 65o after I raised about 234876234xBB before the flop in a $5 90-seater, then something crappy happened in a $10 SNG, can't remember what at this point. Then I made the money in a $5 90-seater, but busted in 13th after making an unfortunate resteal attempt with a mediocre suited Ace (should have realized my fold equity was not as good as I thought... and that my opponent had AA). And then things got really fun when I went another 9 $10 SNG's over Friday and Saturday and only managed to cash in 2... and both 3rd places at that. It was just a terrible run... probably my worst to date. In 2 spots I got down a bit early, losing about 1/3rd of my stack with AQ hands... once to a very passive AK, and once to K9 (shudder). Then I just couldn't catch a break. I was 0/4 in bubble coinflips, and also managed to lose AK to AJ that called all-in on a gutshot aaaaaaaaaaaaaand hit, of course... then QQ against AQ that put his chips in on a J-high flop and of course managed to turn the Ace.

Understandably, it was a sick weekend... a fairly cataclysmal downswing if I do say so myself. Of course I did start out at the $10 SNG's with a ridiculous hot streak (7 cashes out of 8, 5 of them wins), so now my stats actually seem a bit more normal, with a 33% ROI. Still not a significant sample size of only 35, but it's a start.

So from here I think I'm going to take a break from the $10 SNG's and try to play a few $5 90-seaters. I've had really good results from those thus far, and I even donked around in the $3 KO tourney the other night and scraped out an 8th place finish in that... not a big cash though, particularly considering that I only had 1 KO. For now though, I just need a little breather. It's nice to know that I'm not that distraught over the whole cold streak, while at the same time I'm not completely pessimistic about my luck and chances of winning and don't do the "ohhh, looks like another coinflip situation, I'll probably lose this one too" kind of thing. I'm in a good place where it is what it is, I can't do anything about it but focus on the next game or next hand, and ultimately... it's just money. In the big picture of things, I'm still overall very much in the black from when I started tracking my bankroll, but I'm also just in one giant freeroll. I've still yet to deposit a dime of my own money, and am grinding away with the original freeroll winnings and "free $50" offers on Party Poker (what Poker?) from years ago. So yeah this weekend sucked, but all-in-all, life is very good!



WTF HAND OF THE EON

Teddy KGB

With all the craptastic hands going down for me this weekend, there were probably a good 3-dozen or so hands that I felt could have been posted as "WTF" hands of the (insert measurement of time here). This hand however, from one of the biggest donks I have seen around EVER, clearly takes the cake. Fortunately I was not involved in the hand, for had it been my Aces that were being cracked, I probably would have ground my keyboard into a fine powder (though I also would have kicked myself for 3-betting... yes 3-betting... with Aces???)


Full Tilt Poker, NL Hold'em Tournament, 20/40 Blinds, 8 Players
LeggoPoker.com - Hand History Converter

CO: 1,240
BTN: 2,420
SB: 1,375
BB: 1,680
UTG: 2,150
UTG+1: 1,910
MP1: 670
Hero (MP2): 2,055

Pre-Flop: (60) 8c 5d dealt to Hero (MP2)
UTG raises to 80, UTG+1 raises to 120, MP1 calls 120, 2 folds, BTN calls 120, 2 folds, UTG calls 40
Flop: (540) 9h 3s Js (4 Players)
UTG checks, UTG+1 bets 540, MP1 folds, BTN calls 540, UTG folds
Turn: (1,620) Tc (2 Players)
UTG+1 bets 1,250 and is All-In, BTN calls 1,250
River: (4,120) Kc (2 Players - 1 is All-In)

Results: 4,120 Pot
BTN showed 8d 7d (a straight, Jack high) and WON 4,120 (+2,210 NET)
UTG+1 showed As Ah (a pair of Aces) and LOST (-1,910 NET)


REVISITING FULL TILT'S TIER SNG'S

Some of you may remember back in March I had a little experiment with the Tier SNG's on Full Tilt... which unfortunately didn't end the way I had hoped and made me realize the displeasure that can come with the nature of the tier system, particularly how as you go up in increasingly important levels, you sample size obviously decreases drastically and allows for greater variance when it really matters... essentially you can have a great run at Tier One and even Tier Two, and say you're down to 3 $75 tokens that after originally buying in to 20 Tier One SNG's. Cash in all 3 and your ROI will be off the charts, but cash in zero... and you're in the red big time my friend. And yes, I speak from experience. All those overpairs getting cracked by underpairs, runner-runner straights and flushes knocking you out, etc. All of that... happening when you really need it not to. That's what can really suck about the tiers.

Anywho, it looks like Scott at Ace Filled Dreams is going to give it a shot, so I thought I'd just revisit some of my thoughts on the matter, though I pretty much just summed them up above. I'll be honest though, seeing his post does kind of make me want to give it another shot sometime. Not now though... I'd much prefer going for a final table cash in a $24+2 MTT. But here's what I used to be all about:


Trying out the Tiers on FTP (HA)
Tearing Up Tier One
Tier One SNG Strategy Walkthrough (HH)
Time for a Tier Rant
Predicting ROI in Step SNG's
Crazy Tier Two Bubble Hand (HA)
$24+2 Tier Two SNG Strategy (HH) (forgot to add first time)
Tier Three Bubble Bust'n (HA)


OTHER THINGS

1) It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia - if you haven't already heard of or seen this show, I would highly recommend looking into it. My friend brought the DVD's from the first 2 seasons over on Sunday and I have the first 5 episodes to thank for getting me out of my mild downswing depression... just hilarious stuff if you like inappropriate humor.

2) Duplicate Poker - I forgot to mention that about a week or two ago I finally downloaded this thing and tried playing it. Not sure how many of you are familiar with it, but I really wish I wasn't. It was terrible. Now granted I didn't take much time to fully understand the concept and get acquainted with the software, but I really can't see myself ever having the patience to do so. It was just not an enjoyable... gaming experience? If you want to call it that. I don't give a crap if it's the only form of online poker legal in the U.S... cause really... it's just not poker.

3) Sloppy Deuce #2 - sign up now to slop it up this Sunday again. And stay tuned for a potentially fun announcement concerning a new TPTM promotion.


That's all I got for now. I'm spent. Best of luck to ya. - B

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

great set of posts very informative... send me an e-mail at scott_at_acefilleddreams_dot_com. I have an idea I would like to discuss with you

scott