Friday, August 1, 2008

Beautiful Hand of the Week / Other Things

This week's beautiful hand brought to you by Kimberly Lansing and her stunning phalanges:

How's this for a bubble sweat:


Full Tilt Poker, $5 + $0.50 NL Hold'em Sit n' Go, 80/160 Blinds, 4 Players
LeggoPoker.com - Hand History Converter

Hero (BB): 4,555
UTG: 4,550
BTN: 3,635
SB: 760

Pre-Flop: (240) Kh Kc dealt to Hero (BB)
UTG raises to 480, BTN folds, Hero raises to 4,555 and is All-In, UTG calls 4,070 and is All-In
Flop: (9,180) 9d Jc 8d (2 Players - 1 is All-In)
Turn: (9,180) 4c (2 Players - 1 is All-In)
River: (9,180) Kd (2 Players - 1 is All-In)

Results: 9,180 Pot
Hero showed Kh Kc (three of a kind, Kings) and WON 9,180 (+4,630 NET)
UTG showed As Td (Ace King high) and LOST (-4,550 NET)


How many times are your Kings going to be in a near-coinflip after dodging an Ace on the flop? I wasn't exactly looking for a call here with the SB being close to going out, and I'm not quite sure what the UTG player was thinking calling with ATo. It's always a sweat when you see that Ace though, and then to add in the open-ended straight draw. Hey zeus that makes my nuts sweat (kind of like Kimberly Lansing does... if I were a prepubescent boy, I would totally be discovering myself right now).


THE JOURNEY SO FAR:
In other news, July has come to an end, and though I didn't play much poker during the 2nd half of the month, I managed to have another solid return. I'm going to go ahead and post my monthly stats for the past 11 months, so you can all see just how pathetic of a grinder I am and just how little I actually play (spending time ranting on here doesn't help). I've been keeping track since last September, though I started a bit before then with $200 and the original intention of multi-tabling limit games... the real grind. Found that to be a maddening experience, so I got in to NL SNG's and MTT's and never really looked back, and so far I've only had one small month in the red. Anyways, here's my crappy homemade Poker Tracker knockoff spreadsheet:




The goal for August is to get over $1,000, preferably earlier in the month before work starts up - I'm going to be teaching high school math for the first year and we go back in a few weeks. Gotta get used to waking up at 5:00 in the morning again (sigh). But yeah, I figure I'll be playing a lot less during the school year (seeing as how I'll be making a lot more through teaching I should probably focus on that, and plus kids are the future and blah blah blah all that crap etc... just kidding, I really am serious about teaching and love my real job... seriously) but the good thing about teaching is the 2 months of summer vacation, which could be prime poker playing time... possibly even with an eventual trip to Vegas for the WSOP. For now though I'm just going to keep scraping away at the microstakes. Next step is to hit around $1,200 and move up to the $20 SNG's, and maybe a mix of $10-$24 MTT's. Right now the one thing I really need to work on is just to play more. I plan on starting that initiative later today with Full Tilt's Sit-N-Go Madness thing going on, but we'll see how much more time I leak out working on this post.


CONGRESSMEN (AND A CONGRESS-LADY) ATTACKING ONLINE POKER AGAIN:

This crap just keeps pissing me off more and more. Seems that the already-lame UIGEA isn't doing enough for some self-righteous representatives of themselves, who are disregarding all of the other ills in our nation right now to go after good ol' online poker. Get disgusted for yourself here:
http://wickedchopspoker.blogs.com/my_weblog/2008/07/four-republican.html#more

All of this conjures up memories of an old article I wrote around the time that UIGEA was being put into place. It was supposed to be a two-part piece - the first dealing with the nature of poker (i.e. skill vs. luck, is it gambling?, etc.), and the second concerning morality and social perceptions of the game and it's place in society. But yeah... never really got to the second part. I'll leave you with the link for the first part though... and a little excerpt:

"Poker, we can say, is not pure gambling. Poker does involve acts of gambling, and as such the ability to correctly decipher and analyze the risks of certain situations is an essential tool of players who seek to minimize the amount of gambling involved. The degree to which chance and skill come into play is not easily quantifiable, nonetheless it is quite evident that both are active components of the game and that the latter of the two is a primary determinant of how the player fares in the long run."

... from
Of Math and Mathematicians: A Poker Paradox (Part I)

No comments: